BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Today was a hard afternoon and I can't wait for my day off tomorrow. I am so frustrated with my oldest daughter sometimes and I can't figure out how to really get our family dynamic back to normal. I am so stressed with that at times that I can't focus on anything else around here. She is so adorable and funny and sweet when she wants to be, but there are times that I don't even know what to do with her. When she does something wrong and is corrected she shows no remorse. Her dad and I (being divorced) are both unsure how to proceed with these issues and with J (my husband) working so many hours its hard to be unstressed about feeling like this.
The time we spent together today went like this-
wake her up for school and fight her  the whole morning to get ready for school (clothes, teeth, hair, shoes, backpack)
pick her up from school and she immediately starts to complain that she is in a bad mood because she has a little school project to do. (shes in kindergarden, how big can this project be?) I get her into a better mood about the project and we go home and do it. Once its done she plays with her sister for a while without fighting with her or back-talking me. After awhile the fighting starts and I can't put either of them in a good mood after it begins. Then we decided to get ready for bed. This starts with picking up the toys in both their rooms and then we move on to baths. Well the picking up....obviously isn't going to go well. When G (my oldest) is in a bad mood A (my youngest) will follow suit as all toddlers do. The battle continues into the tub where she doesn't want to cooperate. I ended up having to call her dad and get his take on the night. He ends up taking the position that she goes straight to bed tonight early without snack or story. 
Finally she ended up in bed, in tears, and feeling guilty for all the mean things she had said...FINALLY a reaction to her behavior. She did end up apologizing to me for things and we managed to say goodnight well. I just can't understand where all this comes from. Being 6 is supposed to be fun and its supposed to be a joy to watch. With G all I do is dread the next fight. How do I change the way we relate to each other and how do I put myself in a better position to show her the better side of herself and encourage her to let us see that part more than the other?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... ur job is very difficult. Kudos to u for trying. Funny, this whole issue of feeling remorse... or not feeling remorse for bad behavior... seems to be an epidemic. Last Sunday, I heard Pastors wife complaining abt the very same thing with our teenagers. I don't get it... when I was growing up, and even now, if I even THINK I did something wrong I'm overwhelmed with sorrow. I'm not saying I'm perfect, I just can't at all relate and therefore, don't understand one bit.